1995 Vintage Swatch Watch Enchanting Forest GL106 Designed By Licata
Brand New never worn, regular swatch plastic box, a new battery will be installed before shipping.
Licata was born in Turin on 20 December 1929. After a brief stay in Paris, his family moved to Rome, where he lived from 1935 to 1945. In 1946 Licata moved with his mother to Venice. In 1947, some of his drawings were seen by Giuseppe Mazzariol, who convinced him to attend the Liceo Artistico, where he studied under Luciano Gasperi and Mario De Luigi.
Architect Antonio Salvatori introduced him to the artistic culture of the Bauhaus, while painter Romualdo Scarpa started him working on mosaic, which was to prove decisive for his future.
In 1948 he repeatedly visited the International Biennale in Venice, the first after the Liberation, where he first discovered the Peggy Guggenheim collection (in particular the works of Jackson Pollock) and where he met the artists of the Fronte Nuovo delle Arti (Santomaso, Birolli, Pizzinato, Vedova, Guttuso, Turcato, Viani, and others), who led the debate on the renewal of Italian art in the post-war period.
He regularly went to concerts at the Teatro La Fenice and at the Festival di Musica Contemporanea at the Venice Biennale. In 1949 he formed a group of young artists with a tendency towards abstractionism. The others were painters Ennio Finzi, Tancredi, Bruno Blenner and sculptor Giorgio Zennaro. His graphic-pictorial writing, inspired by music, began to take shape.
In 1950 he enrolled at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Venice where he attended painting courses held by Bruno Saetti, and he took part in the group exhibition of the Fondazione Bevilacqua La Masa, where the following year he put on his own solo display. The most important art critics in Venice at the time Giuseppe Mazzariol, Giuseppe Marchiori, Umbro Apollonio, Silvio Branzi, Berto Morucchio and Toni Toniato began to take an interest in his work.
He took part with a large mosaic in the Venice Biennale of 1952. In 1953 he was at the Triennale in Milan and he won the First Prize for Engraving at the Biennale dei Giovani in Gorizia. The following year, in 1954, he exhibited again at the Biennale in Venice. He met Gino Severini. In 1955 he was invited to the Biennale in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and won the First Prize for Painting at the Biennale dei Giovani in Gorizia.
In 1956 he exhibited at the Quadriennale in Rome, and had a gallery of his own for his engravings at the Biennale in Venice, and also won the First Prize from the Fondazione Bevilacqua La Masa. The following year he was awarded a scholarship and moved to Paris as an assistant of Gino Severini in the professorship of mosaics.
He settled in Paris in 1957 (while making frequent and regular work trips to Venice, where he has always maintained a home-studio) and started frequenting the studios of Stanley Hayter, Johnny Friedlaender and Henri Goetz, as well as artists and critics such as Matta, Brauner, Huntertwasser, Lebel, Jouffroy and the Italians Tancredi and Mondino. In 1961 he married Maria Battistella, a singer and scholar of old folk and Renaissance ballads, and they had a son, Giovanni, in 1962.
In 1962 the School of Mosaic was incorporated in the Accademia di Belle Arti in Paris, where Licata still teaches, while since 1970 he has taught experimental engraving techniques at the International Graphics School in Venice. In 1963 he won the Premio Michetti, and in 1975 the First Prize in the Rassegna della Grafica in Forlì. Licata later took part in the Venice Biennales of 1964, 1970 and 1972, in the Quadriennale in Rome, in the biennales of Paris, Alexandria, Sao Paulo, and in the most important international graphics biennales (Ljubljana, Tokyo, Mulhouse, Krakow, Reykjavik, Berlin, etc.).
Solo exhibitions of his works have been put on in the most important cities in Italy and in Paris, Helsinki, Sao Paulo, London, Dublin, Malmo, Mulhouse, Lille, Poitiers, Auxerre, Rouen, Barcelona, Brussels, Nice, Amsterdam, Grenoble, Taipei, Ghent, Stockholm, Munich, etc. The great travelling exhibition that took place in Spain in 1990 was particularly important. Curated by Enzo Di Martino and sponsored by the Caja de Ahorros de Asturias, it was shown in a number of cities including Oviedo, Gijon, Leon, Valencia, Valladolid, Malaga, and Granada.
He has made large public mosaics in cities in France and Italy including Genoa (Palazzo dei Lavori Pubblici), Bourgoin Jailleu, Sault les Rethel, Lille (University), Perpignan, Monza, Dozza (Fresco), and Reggio Emilia (Camera del Lavoro). For the theatre, he has designed stage scenery and costumes for Medea by Euripides (1978 Treviso, Teatro Comunale) and for the ballet Ichspaltung by Giuseppe Marotta (1980 -Venice, Teatro Goldoni).His works are to be found in the museums of modern art of Venice, Milan, Mulhouse, Alessandria, Rome, Turin, Warsaw, Sao Paulo, Vienna, New York, Stockholm, Florence, Stuttgart, and elsewhere.